Chicago is a sports town, no doubt about it . . . In summer and FALL, we've got the 2016 World Series Champion, CUBS - at the amazing Wrigley Field. Plus you can check out the notorious 3 B's - Chicago Bears, Blackhawks, and Bulls this fall and winter! Check their schedules and plan to spend a few nights in the Chi - even if you don't score tickets - there's plenty of fist-bumping and high-fiving to be had on game days at like a gazillion sports pubs around the city. Bear down!
If you're looking to explore ways to soak up the season, Chicago has it for you in spades! You can sing carols at Cloud Gate through the end of December, ice skate at Millennium Park now through March, check out the true magnificence of the holiday lights on the Mag Mile, or even take a helicopter lights tour of the city. Do the holidays in Chicago and we can assure you, your stockings will be stuffed! Check out even more happenings and events below!
now - dec 24
The Christkindle Market is back with all the lively Christmas Market activity you can muster . . . We recommend the food, it's hot, and it's delicious . . . best time to beat the crowds? On a weekday afternoon - that'll give you the most elbow room to truly enjoy all it has to offer!
now - jan 5
If you love the magic of the holidays .. . and wildlife, check out Zoolights at Lincoln Park Zoo. It's a popular tradition around these parts - - - and not just for the kiddos! Check it out!
now - Jan 26
Andy Warhol returns to the Art Institute of Chicago in the largest exhibit of his works to date - Andy Warhol Fom A to B and back again. But you'd better get your tickets fast, this will be the most anticipated art event of the year, and this is a limited run.
Come check out the biggest tree in the 312, when the city hosts the Chicago Annual Tree Lighting at Millennium Park. Looking for a holiday kick-off post for the Gram? This just might be it!
One of the biggest events of the year returns on the 23rd and it's guaranteed to fill everybody with a whole lotta Holiday spirit The Mag Mile Lights Festival steps off featuring some of your favorite Disney characters, and you know, the dude with the beard. Get there early for primo views!
Jason Mraz take center stage at the Chicago Theatre and it promises to be amazing! Grab your tix at the link!!!
Ready to turn back time? Then get to the United Center and do it with CHER, live on stage at her Here We Go Again tour! Come on! Who doesn't LOVE CHER!?!?!
Dec 5 - Dec 8
Looking for that extraordinary gift this season that nobody else is going to give? Then check out the One of a Kind Show at the Merchandise Mart. Chock-full of artisan crafted jewelry, apparel, and home decor, this is the spot to find unique items for that one of a kind person.
dec 12 - dec 24
If you're into the classics, and want to put a nifty spin on your holiday, find yourself at the Music Box Theatre for the 36th annual Music Box Holiday Sing-a-long. Whether you make it a tradition, or a one-time thing, it's a seriously cool thing to experience.
Naughty or nice, the Chicago Santa Crawl in River North (yup, our neighborhood) will get you into the holiday spirit in no time! Fueled by a breakfast buffet, this holiday event includes santa hats, giveaways, and holiday cheer at multiple participating locations. Make holiday Cheer, and make lots of new facebook friends all at one time!
Occasions to experience serious music don't stop just because temperatures fall - Check out Wilco at the Chicago Theatre! It's the perfect early Christmas gift, for yourself!
DEC 25 - Jan 26
The Broadway hit musical, Mean Girls, takes center stage for a VERY limited run on Christmas day . . . If you loved the film, you'll love the live version . . .
DO YOUR THING - DIFFERENT! Check out our curated list of cool attractions
- If you love the great outdoors, get yourself to the 606. An elevated jogging/hiking/biking path that takes you through some of the 312's most interesting neighborhoods like Bucktown, Wicker Park, Logan Square, and others.
- Bike your way through town on a Divvy. Those are the blue bikes you see pretty much everywhere . . . We suggest a ride up the Lakefront, coz it will net you some pretty awesome instagram shots!
- If you've been dying to check out EATALY, you're in luck - it's a block away, and yeah, it's awesome. It's a bustling Italian marketplace that offers some of the freshest fare and authentic Italian foods around. Foodies won't want to pass it up.
- In season, there are few things cooler than getting out on the cool waters of lake Michigan on your own (rented) jet ski, and worth e-v-e-r-y penny! Or one with the river in your very own kayak. Here you'll get some of the best views of the city, and get in a pretty decent workout too. Of course, both are seasonal.
- Check out the Riverwalk (hint: it's on the river), and check out the peeps walking and cruising by. It's a great stop for a cocktail, or just to brown bag it.
- What better way to hold on to a memory than with body ink? Deluxe Tattoo is one of the best tattoo shops in Chicago. We just recommend you visit sober - you know, no regrets and all.
- Everybody's heard about the Architectural Boat Tour, now go out and do it. It is def. one of the best "attractions" in Chicago.
CHICAGO'S MUSIC SCENE
If you dig music, you've come to the right city. In addition to the major arena's, Chicago boasts a ton of awesome, more intimate venues that often book the cutting edge talent on the cusp of stardom. You may also see them at one of Chicago's major music festival during the summer. Here is a short list of some of the best venues in the 312 to sit back and jam. - These even made TimeOut Chicago's best list!